Re: help with teacher dress code: shoes

---------

From: Catherine Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 21:08:53 PDT

This was my first week of school teaching art and I wore what I always wore
before I was given the art position. I showed up in my Ann Taylor skirt,
blouse and heels. One of the middle school teachers pulled me aside and
asked if I was crazy. "You're going to get paint all over your outfit," she
said. Then when my students came in the classroom they looked at me and
said, "are you the art teacher?" I said, "Yes," and one boy said "well, you
don't dress like an art teacher." I asked what does an art teacher dress
like? He said at his old school the art teacher wore overalls or jeans and
running shoes. He told me that I was too clean and not messy enough. I was
beginning to get a little paranoid as I walked through the school with
students and teachers commenting on my outfit. Reading these posts on dress
code has given me much food for thought. When I worked in the Advertising
field I always dressed professionally with a bit of funk, all graphic artist
did at my workplace. We never got dirtly then again we didn't have to work
with kids either. So I guess I need to ask myself, do I dress
professionally and cover my outfit with an apron while I teach or do I dress
down and adhere to the stereotypical image of a paint splattered artist in
jeans and t-shirt? Right now, I'm not comfortable wearing jeans and
t-shirts to school... it just doesn't look right when everyone else is
dressed professionally. I'm not sure I can bring myself to NOT wear my
skirts, blouses and heels... then again, I just might change my mind the
minute my Ann Taylor blouse is hit with a stain of red paint. {{smile}}

Mahalo,
CAthy

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental

---