Re: photography materials

---------

From: Catherine Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 20:18:45 PDT

Suzie,
Art or Photography magazines are good resources to use for Photographer Bio
and Art History related to Photography. The internet is another great
resource which I'm sure you already know. Here's what I would do: put
together a list of famous photographers, such as Adams, Bourke-White,
Cartier-Bresson, Steigliz (who was married to Georgia O'Keefe), Cummingham,
etc. Do a little Internet Search on each of them for websites that feature
their Bios and Photos. Write the URL down along side their names and jot
down a few important facts about their photography style. Then put together
a Scavenger Hunt to be done using the Internet. Students would have clues
about the Artist and they would have to use the URLs that you've listed to
find out who they are searching for, fill in the information they are
hunting for and write a brief explaination on one Photographer whose work
they liked and why. Or you could assign each student the URL of a
Photographer and have them research the information and have them put
together either a PowerPoint Presentation (depending how computer literate
your students are) or a photo-montage followed by an oral report.

As to your question about the use of photographs from websites in
PowerPoint. Copyright laws are strict, however, when it comes to
educational purposes you are allowed to use photos or clip art up to a one
year period. You need to cite your sources either on each PowerPoint slide
that the photo appears or at the end in a Resource List. You don't need
written permission from the source unless you plan to use the PowerPoint
outside of the classroom or promote it any way.

Mahalo,
Cathy

MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

---