Re: teaching pencil shading-m.s.

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 17:05:56 PDT

What I hate getting is the shading technique with the extremely
> dark coloring book outline. I have to work and work and work on
> reinforcing form by value, not outline.
What I do is teach that one value against another FORMS the edge, and ask if
I look outlined to them. I teach shading sort of like the zone system in
photography, that everything (or most everything) has all 10 values, and
that flesh tones are value 5. We do value scales, then drawings from
observation (usually a bike with a viewfinder) that is rendered in all 10
values. The value drawings are only 8 X 10's and they have to do 4 sections
of the bike. We then put the bike away, and using their drawings only they
then 'translate' one of the drawings by gridding it out and painting it
monochromatically, reinforcing value through color. (the size is usually
doubled, or 16 x 20). In this way teach them that when they do sketchbook
drawings that they might want to convert to paintings, they must have all
the essential information in the drawing so that they can translate their
vision into a painting. I follow up with a value drawing of a plant that is
blooming (usually one of my husband's african violets), and after the whole
drawing is done in pencil with all 10 values (part of the rubric), three
circles are drawn with a compass on top of the drawing, and then with tempra
the pencil drawing part within the circles are translated into the real
color of the plant. I then tell them that if they can do just a small
section of their pencil drawing in color, just imagine what they could do
with the whole plant. The finished value drawing with 3 sections in color,
looks like a black and white movie still that has had 3 drops of water on it
that changed into color.

San D

---