Middle School vs. High School

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 11:58:00 PDT

As I am reading the various posting on middle school lessons and high school lessons and I am how much differences there are in the two. I teach High School but often the students I have haven't had art since elementary school. Their skill level is divently at an elementary level but their maturity is at a high school level.

I guess the reason I am posing this guestion is often I read about a lesson that someone has posted and I would think that it would be a great project. For example studying Egyptian art and doing a project inspired by that culture and style of art. I run this by the other art teacher in my school and his comment is "That is so middle school." I don't think it is. Am I wrong? I have seen a lot of middle school projects come through here that I thought would be great for my high school students but worried that it wouldn't be appropriate at the age level I teach.

What we focus on is E and P of Design and realistic drawing and developing technique which is great but I want to try different thinks like doing a project in the style of another culture. Am I way off base here?

Does anyone have any ideas or opinion on this topic?

Blessings,
JoeGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

---