RE: teaching pencil shading-m.s.

---------

From: martha (artsymartsy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 08:50:02 PDT

I start very slow with teaching shading.
Start by showing a colored, simply composed photo that has been changed to
gray values.
Have students break the photo into 2 values - black and white and shade
these in.
Then have students add a middle gray value.
Then have students add a value between gray and black and a value between
gray and white.
This can take some time, but I find the students understand the shading
process better when it is broken down this way.
Martha

---