Re: Plaster and plaster bats? (Jeannie H and Marvin Bartel)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 07:07:38 PDT

(Marvin - correct me if I am wrong- I don't like giving wrong advice -
Jeannie jean1@dejazzd.com)

Hi Jeannie - Hopefully Marvin can tell you more. I ordered my plaster from
Columbus Clay -They have a special pottery plaster that is just for the
purpose of making plaster bats (and molds) I think it is a much harder
plaster. I was "naughty" though - I just got so busy once technology (and my
graduate work) came along that I never had time to make mine (shame on me).
I did use the plaster though for sculpture projects. The wedging board is
still in the box (I had ordered a metal one from an art supply company).
Longer story why it didn't get done the summer I DID plan to make it (if
anyone on my district is still reading my posts - that summer was summer of
2000 - my grad work was done then and I DID have the time then - my
technology was done then, too - so I DID have them time then....Patty, I
added this "just for you").

Soooo....back to your question - check to see if there is a clay/ceramics
company in your area (art supply catalogs won't have it). I did special
order pottery/mold plaster from a building supply company for use at a local
art resource center before I knew about Columbus Clay. Another option might
be to check a near by college or university (When I first started at my
school - I got my dry clay from Bluffton College - to take advantage of
their quantity discount). I bet they could tell you where to order the
pottery clay.

Judy Decker