Some more info on those warnings

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 21:05:21 PDT

Hi, all,

So far I'm virus-free; since I've been using MailWasher, which some kind
person on the list recommended last year, I've been able to view,
bounce, and delete suspect mail before downloading it off the server.

Here are a couple of new pieces of advice from a reputable online
newsletter.

Maggie

______Their Friends Have Arrived & Your Time Is Up! ___________

A new variant of the W32.Sobig worm is causing huge problems for users
everywhere. The worm called W32.Sobig.F@mm affects most Microsoft
Windows users via email but has a weird twist. Please beware that many
who think they are infected are actually not but the only way to tell is
if you run your anti-virus scan once it is updated. Another worm by the
name of W32.Welchia.Worm was discovered on the same day (8-18-003) that
is a spin off from Blaster. The Welchia worm can be stopped in its
tracks by updating the same patch used by the Blaster worm. For optimal
security it is suggested that you update your anti-virus software. For
more detailed information on SoBig, check out:

http://datadr.com/redir.cfm/SoBigF_Worm/

For more detailed information on the Welchia worm, check out:

http://datadr.com/redir.cfm/Welchia1_Worm/

We have also posted a warning with a link to the security bulletins at:

http://datadoctors.com/hot/general.cfm?PageID=35

______ The Freighting Fours Have Hit, The End Is Near! ___________

This week Microsoft sent out four new security bulletins that are
guaranteed to keep anyone with any sense busy this weekend. However,
rumor has it that thousands of users have still not heeded the cry of
those who failed to update past patches. Microsoft has announced
several security bulletins recently and if you listened to the warning &
updated your software then you havenít had any problems. On the other
hand if you read the bulletin and decided you are special and donít need
the updates, then you had the unfortunate experience of either being hit
by SoBig, Welchia, or just straight up BLASTED. Three of the four
security bulletins are considered critical and the fourth is important.
The bulletins are for your benefit and act as a patch to repair the flaw
that is in the code used to make the software work. Microsoft encourages
all users affected by any or all of these vulnerabilities, to download
the patch/patches immediately from its Web site
(www.microsoft.com/security). To find out more on the three critical
bulletins, check out:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-030.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-040.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-032.asp

For info on the important bulleting released, go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-033.asp

---