Re: courage to teach

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 20:57:42 PDT

Jane Altshuler wrote:
> I'd love to hear more about the courage to teach workshops.

Jane,

I missed whatever message you're responding to, so am not real sure what
you're asking, but hey, I'll just jump in anyway (incomplete knowledge
has never prevented me from offering an opinion)...

It took a lot of nerve for me to screw up the courage to present the
first time at NAEA, but I've been hooked on it ever since. It's a great
way to give back to the art ed community for all I've learned from them.

When you're presenting to professional colleagues, plan it down to the
last detail so you're not so nervous. Have a handout that's complete
enough that someone can go back to the classroom on Monday and do your
lesson. For me, that means including all background knowledge, a
specific list of visuals (slides, posters, etc.), step by step lesson
plans, a materials list, and bibliography.

If you're teaching to non-art colleagues, keep in mind that most will
claim they know nothing about art, "can't draw a line," are afraid of
art, etc. Your job then is to allay their fears and make art learning
and teaching very accessible.

Hope this helps.

Maggie

---