Re: teaching pencil shading-m.s.

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 19:34:34 PDT

Mike, I always cover shading with my 7th and 8th grade classes. It is
undoubtedly the most difficult concept for most of the students to grasp and
it seems that they can't see the tonal variations as we, the
artist/teachers, seem to see rather readily. Being an artist for so long,
it is hard for me to understand that tonal variation is hard to observe and
imitate on paper. But value has been one of the toughest areas for me to
teach and reach the students. I refuse to give-up trying new ideas, because
a good tonal drawing is so magnificent! So I plug along each semester
trying new methods...I haven't found the "golden mean-solution", if you know
what I mean, but I'm still open to any suggestions that I can get from other
art teachers.

Idus in southern Mississippi (about an hour from New Orleans)