Knott Just Another Quote - Drawing (art and math artist)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 13:48:45 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Today's Quote comes from Tiffany Jone's site "The Secret of Design" - on
Drawing:
http://groups.msn.com/TheSecretDesignofArt/drawtounderstand.msnw

"Learn to see more in the world around you ; and you will gain understanding
not only of your environ , but also of your place in it."

Tiffany signs her work: bambootiger

The funny thing is I had a student named Tiffany Jones who I dearly loved. I
will be adding Tiffany's site as an Incredible Artist for this fond memory
she gave. I will introduce you to her today.

I will give you the message she gave to me so you can explore her site. I
liked what I saw on Symbolism, too.

Hello Miss Decker,
                   I saw the question about artists who use math in their
art. I use rational numbers to draw people and place them in perspective.
Another way I use math is by griding the points out of someone I want to
draw from a photo into x and y co-ordinates and multiplying these by the
same factor to draw them whatever size I wish. Still another way is with a
grid of tetrahedrons. I have a drawing that I did of a little girl hugging a
tiger. The girl and the tiger from their photos had to point by point be
multiplied by different factors so they would be at the same scale in the
picture I was drawing and I had to draw two other parts of the girl from
other photos with each by different factors, but her eyes I drew at 1 and
1/7 times the rest of her face so that they would be larger without
looking like an alien. I am also working on my own theory of curvilinear
perspective and how to make objects look natural relative to each other
without using vanishing points. I have some diagrams posted in the documents
area of my site at http://groups.msn.com/TheSecretDesignofArt . I just
started this group last week so I have a lot to post still. I am trying to
make it an educational site rather than just promote myself. Here is a
drawing I finished recently, but the one I am working on is going to be much
better.

      To Tiffany, I am assuming that is a self portrait? I did try some
other links on your site and do not like that I have to enter a password for
some of them...but I did enjoy what I could see. You have a lot to give. I
liked your Dreamer image - I'd like to hear more about it.

      To everyone else - here is Tiffany's email address
sweetangeltj86@hotmail.com

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department