Re: Patriotic Wall Mural- One idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 11:09:43 PDT

Yes Jeannie (thanks for your off list post so I would know to reply to the
list but cc to you). I will do everything I can to help you and I hope
others do the same. The world mourns the birth of my brother Ken now (his
birthday was September 11 - and he died from AIDS right before Chrsitmas
1994). I DO help 90% of you when I can but send my replies off list to cut
down on the volume of mail everyone receives. DO folks post your ideas for
Jeannie to the list and I will forward them all to her since she is a digest
user. She needs ideas quickly.

I am going to share one idea to the list - then brainstorm for more.
Have each kid do a piece of the "Patriot" quilt. You can decide how big each
quit block should be - determine how big you want it overall - tehn divide
up the swares. have ech kid make a square on what being a Patriot means to
them. Talk a lot about it in advance so they get all of the right ideas.
Then assemble all of their quilt squares becaseu it takes each and everyone
to make it work. YES- YES do include giant words too! Make several key words
to overlay images maybe? Do add some words- maybe as a border all around
printed from the computer?). Have USA PATRIOTS in big bold letters with the
quilt squares all around? Do get PRIDE in there somewhere, too.
RESPECT....TRUST...HONOR....I have lots of links for quilts, Jeannie if you
want to tie in art history. Quilts bridge all cultures.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/textiles.htm (I have
more link that are not on the site).

Or border of hands cut out.....it takes all of our hands working together.

> I look forward to all the wonderful ideas- have a
> great weekend!
> Jeannie in GA

You too "Jeanne d'Arc" for the kids. It is an honor to help you.

Judy -- I was an Indian (a Shawnee) - I will always be an Indian.... I just
don't think I could be a bull dog (although P.A.W.S. worked for me -
Positive Attitudes Work -- but that was started by an educator/administrator
who couldn't be a bull dog either....She is now the CEO of Cleveland City
Schools (I think - I will try to find out sometime).

P.S. Well...I am trying to send now to see if I cut enough fromJeannie's
orignal message fro Lyris to accept it.