Aesthetics--as the kids see it

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 05:44:45 PDT

I started my classes over a week ago. This year I thought I'd ask the 7th
graders to brainstorm "why does art exist?" before we went into the
textbook. Not a scientific survey, but most responded that:
        art is fun
        art makes things pretty
        you can make money from doing art.

This gave me a little jolt of their reality as I look at lesson planning.
Now I ask myself if I've managed to make it fun AS WELL as tie into my
state's curriculum and everybody else's, too.

By the way, THANK YOU for the kind Getty'ers who responded to my plea last
year about classes of 35. I have one (8th grade/ 9 week rotation) and am
barely--barely--keeping my head above water because of you.
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---