ESL kids-ideas

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:38:08 PDT

Linda,
    Over half of my teaching load is bi-lingual classes. It helps to
set those with limited English next to someone who knows more. My
students learn most by looking, so I demonstrate each step more than
once. I do it in the front of the room and several times around the
room near each table. This is good for those that have a hard time
seeing far away. Make sure that someone at that table is doing it
right, than make a big deal about it, point, smile and nod your head
yes, and make positive comments. Letting the ESL student what is a good
example to follow not to mention making the other students day. They
really follow the other students lead on lesson more that what I say
after all the other student's work is in front of them longer, so make
sure that at least one at each table has got it.

    During discussions I call on everyone, no one is off the hook in my
class, I will wait and wait for my shy ESL kids to say something. I
always tell them that it can be in their own language, the other
students will help me understanding. I once had to wait for 7 agonizing
minutes for one young girl to answer my question about a painting. She
finally figured out that this crazy art teacher was not going to go away
and she answered. That was at the beginning of the year, in June I had
a hard time getting her to be quiet. By the way her answer was one of
the most insightful response that I have ever received.

    Hope this helps you. Enjoy your ESL students.

Ellen Silverman

---