Art and Disability - Link - share ideas

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 11:26:34 PDT

(MaryAnn and all - I am starting a folder for ideas on teaching kids with
disabilities - folks are searching IAD for the topic - what ideas do you
have?).

Dear Art Educators,

I am still looking for your ideas (and links) for teaching kids with
disabilities/handicaps - please forward any past posts you have. Last week
was the first time anyone searched the site for the topic. I will do some
web searches myself sometime - but want to see what you already have. [for
Sara - I have your recent post - don't go surfing yourself now just for the
site].

Denise from the World list posted this link:
http://www.vsarts.org/

I have had this in my "to do" folder for several days so just decided to
post and let you explore on your own.
Here are some highlights from ths site:
Art Collection of People with Disabilities:
http://www.vsarts.org/gallery/exhibits/permanent/index.html
Art Exhibit- Children with Disabilities:
http://www.vsarts.org/gallery/exhibits/cbborders/index.html
Athletes of the Spirit - interviews of 9 people with 9 different
disabilities (by a watercolor artist)
http://www.vsarts.org/gallery/exhibits/athletes/index.html
Art- Disability and Expression
http://www.vsarts.org/gallery/exhibits/disability/index.html
Start with the Arts
http://www.vsarts.org/programs/swta/index.html

Express Diversity - Lesson plans to enhance disability awareness,
communication, inclusion and self-esteem.
http://www.vsarts.org/programs/ed/index.html
This new VSA arts educational resource was developed to provide exciting and
interactive arts-based activities. The topic of disability is infused into
the arts in such a way as to promote discussion and new insights.

I will be getting this linked up to Incredible Art Deaprtment in the
future - but save this post now if you want to explore. I am way behind in
link updates. I have had other priorities - and now have a lot of work to do
for my husband - which will come first. Then I may be making a web site for
him - which will come first. STILL continue to send lessons to share because
that is very easy for me to do. Soon I will make a list of what all is in
the Files for Sharing folder so you can have it all in one place. For now -
they are just for your eyes (list members).

Hope this helps, Denise - thanks for sharing. That wasn't too bad - sharing
this was on my August 17 "to do" list (smile)....But I got a whole lot done
in between.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department