Re: art promotion PS... and sorrier

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 09:40:44 PDT

>>The fact remains, the stress is on testing math and reading and science. Art has been cut (in the middle schools by two-thirds).

This is your "cue" to get art in math - get art in science - get art in reading. I worked my tail off to get art in the core -- and tried explos till I could try no more - long story - I just brought them into MY curriculum - and had a blast doing it - I was always full of praise for what they were doing and made connections whenever I could. The sixth graders were so excited that they were doing African American spirituals in choir when I was doing Africa and African American art - That was luck - smile. Boy did I ever have fun sharing my own and borrowed African percussion instruments - band director loved it (the band director had great respect for me - helped me with music/art words and selections - he just didn't have time to do art per se - although he DID "color of music" one year - all selections relating to color)

Folks, Art (as an elective) was cut from my former middle school - but those kids DO get art in their core subjects so I am no longer sad about it. The present building administrator wants art back as an elective - but that is up to the super -super says "no" - and school board goes along with him.

>>New Super this year. He says he has great plans for the arts. We'll see.

Leslie - do share your Super's great plans as they unfold. I love reading happy stories during the school year.

Judy in Lima, Ohio

P.S. for everyone - You all know you are wonderful!.... I want to make it easier for everyone when school starts back up -- to cut down on mail for everyone to read. PLEASE do not reply to the list with a "thank you" to me when I post something. I am just doing my job. If you USE something I post or will use something I post do send me a PERSONAL note Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Believe me I do like seeing the praises and thanks to the list....but this is my job now - and I don't need praise and thanks "to the list" - just right click on the from line - go to properties and you will get my personal email address (jdecker@woh.rr.com) Hope this helps everyone. Personal email means more to me that a thank you to the list. Please - folks who have posted to the list do not take offense as that is not my intent. I save lot of your "thank you" notes. I am not used to getting praise and thanks when I do my job. I only send my replies to the list when I think it is something several will benefit from. Now... I know what you are thinking... I am not trying to "control" the list and what you post (so get that thought out of your head right now). I am just trying to make it easier for everyone. Oh DO post to the list when it pertains to a lesson that a list member contributed - that shows them you appreciate their donation of their time (that goes above and beyond "their job"

P.P.S. Patty still trying... I will share my big success story sometime soon - I know it was a success - the kids know it was a success - the core teachers knew it was a success - the principal even knew it was a success (that is when he "liked" me - his first year in our building - I made him look darned good - he even got letters of praise about the art program. he did photocopy and put in my mail box).... I just took so much *s* from the other explos....

  I pressed some button or other on this new computer and sent the last post before I signed it.

  The fact remains, the stress is on testing math and reading and science. Art has been cut (in the middle schools by two-thirds).

  New Super this year. He says he has great plans for the arts. We'll see.

  Leslie in Framingham, MA ---

---