Art-Math-Radial design - Tapa/kapa bark cloth

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 08:51:40 PDT

(Thanks Royce! I don't think I found this site - but I may have)

Dear Art Educators,

Royce is keeping me busy right now (smile - I have more words to look up).
But before I do that, I MUST share this site:
http://www.siapo.com/
Siapo, also known as tapa, is one of the oldest Samoan cultural art forms (I
have lots more links for anyone interested - kapa cloth in Hawaii)

Wow!
http://store1.yimg.com/I/siapo_1732_42530469
http://www.siapo.com/freehandmethod.html

Awesome image - very "Bunki like" or "Judy like" - Radial design - with
border design - lots of math here folks.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/siapo_1733_22558372
(although if I were doing this - I'd have the border colors relate more -
this is just batik fabric it is laying on - but I can see a repeat stamp
border - kids sharing each others stamps carved from 1" erasers)
OK-- so they are cutting art - People, get ART into the math room! Work your
little tails off to integrate - and introduce a wee bit of culture while you
do it.

I worked my tail off to get art into the core classes, too (I shared tons of
"stuff") - It was a joy to see those core teachers doing hands on art
projects. No, they weren't as involved as what I did - that was my job
(smile). Then, I displayed some of their projects in the district wide show.
Respect goes both ways.

If anyone is interested in seeing a lesson on this using handmade paper (a
mixture of brown grocery bags and abaca--banana plant pulp) let me know
(Jdecker@woh.rr.com). I have made mulberry pulp before and would not go to
all that trouble to do it with kids....very time consuming (kind of
expensive, too). I did use a batch of left over gampi (similar to
mulberry/kozo) though with third graders (mixed with abaca, and brown paper
bags - and a bit of yarn threads to resemble amate). Parents LOVED it and
wanted to know how they could do it with the other kids. I told them how the
gampi was made with a smile. They were very appreciative of what I did for
their child. It takes me a long time to write up a lesson plan - I will
write one for this IF someone is interested in using it. I donated my piece
of tapa cloth to the local Art Resource center - but will check it out to
loan to you (if you pay postage both ways). I have my own personal reasons
why I didn't do the unit I had planned. I did amate with 7th grade instead
(using the same paper making process). Abaca is used a lot in Africa - in
case you wanted to know.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department