Re: Organization Help Needed

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 06:40:49 PDT

Dear Joe,

I've been teaching for ten years, and I know how you feel. It took me five
years just to organize the mess that was left for me from the other teacher!
Anyway, some things that help me. I file everything, worksheets, info
sheets, pictures I clip from magazines, all administrative stuff. When the
files get full, then I do a little weeding. I keep all my flat lesson
examples in big, stackable, rubbermaid bins, one for each grade level. I
have all my 3-d examples in a couple other boxes. Every year I throw away
all but a few examples of each lesson. If there are other resources I use
only with a certain lesson, I keep it with the example. I also keep notes
with each example. If I run out of room for examples or supplies, I throw
away anything (usually free stuff I've collected, like cardboard) I haven't
used in the last two years (unless, of course, I have an idea for using it).
Also, most of my supplies like markers, pastels, crayons, etc. I take out
of the boxes and put them in bins, one for each table. It takes up less
room and is easier to store. Plus, you know the sets never stay together in
boxes anyway. I have wooden shelves that a colleague built for me which
have a section for each grade level and each section is split into smaller
sections. I use this to organize materials that are being used for the
current lessons so I can find things more easily. I hope some of this
helps! Have an organized year.

Leah