Re: help! large talkative class

---------

From: Betty Bowen (albertbandura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 16:36:37 PDT

This past spring I made about three parental cel-phone calls to the parents of kids who simply would not do their major project - they all had many excuses, even told me they were working on the project at home with their parents. I only did it as an absolute last straw. In every case it was successful.

I knew just what parents I needed to talk to, and I had their numbers pre-programmed into my phone, and when I decided I had no other options, I'd step aside, call, speak briefly with the parent, then ask the parent if they would like to speak to their child. Then I'd hand the phone to the kid who would say "who is it?" and I'd say - your mom. It was great.

After that I only had to say - would you like us to discuss that with your mom? she says I can call back any time?