PowerPoint Article from New York Times

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 15:32:04 PDT

OK - Let's brainstorm on HOW WE DO THIS (long)I put the NewYork Times
article on the site (temporarily - only for a couple of days not linked to
anything). I thought the Indonesia article was interesting too so I include
that one at the bottom.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/PPT.htm

Posted by Patty Knott:

I was reading an interesting article in the NY Times today about David Byrne
using Power Point as an art medium
For more than a year David Byrne has been employing the ubiquitous sales and
presentation program PowerPoint as an art medium. E.E.E.I (Envisioning
Emotional Epistemological Information) is a book of images and essays, plus
a DVD which plays 5 of his PowerPoint presentations accompanied by original
music. The book component contains a dozen new exploratory texts and a whole
lot of bold, graphic images created with the help of PowerPoint's built-in
tools and visuals--not to mention the fun of plastic overlays and nifty
foldout pages. And you may ask yourself, what is the meaning of this? And
you may ask yourself, what is this about? It is about taking subjective,
even emotional, information and presenting it in a familiar audiovisual
form--using a medium in a way that is different, and possibly better, than
what was intended. It is about appropriating a contemporary, corporate
staple and making something critical, beautiful and humorous with it.
And I'm thinking what if?

Form Judy - the articles say you can email them to a friend - so that is
waht I am doing.

Judy Decker

---