Re: Wheat Paste

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 11:35:37 PDT

Joe Cox wrote:

> <snip> I was thinking of
> using wallpaper paste and strips of paper to line the mold and
> create the mask that way. After reading some of the post I am
> rethinking that there may be better choices.

Joe,
Many people have already recommended flour and water paste for papier
mache. It is cheap and easy to make and makes a really hard shell, but
you will need to toss out the leftover paste and scrub the dishes well
as the stuff STINKS when it gets old (which, in AZ, is pretty much
overnight). Don't let the kids dump it down the drain; dump it in the
garbage, and scrub the utensils in a Rubbermaid dishpan.

You can also use liquid laundry starch, which makes a super hard shell
and doesn't go bad. I dilute it 50/50.

Maggie

---