Re: help - Muriel Castanis

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 10:06:48 PDT

Vicki,
Last night I was reading a book called Sculpture: Technique, Form, Content by Arthur Williams, and in this book there is a very small paragraph explaining Muriel Castanis technique. All it says is:
"
"She works with epoxy-soaked cloth that she uses to drape all kinds of objects for her sculpture. These include chairs, bathtubs, boxes, and even motorcycles. Using a mannequin, she covers it with plastic wrap and then carefully places the cloth, previously submerged in the epoxy on the form. Time is of the essence, since she must complete the shape in about 20 minutes. The texture, direction of weave and heaviness of fabric help to determine her design. Her method of working produces sculptures that are rigid and yet very lightweight. "

I am wondering if using a Mod Podge would do the same thing or some kind of wallpaper paste, maybe even fabric dipped in plaster.

If someone sends you something off the list please let me know I am wanting to do something like this with my advanced AP class.

Blessings,
Joe