RE: Organization Help Needed

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 09:19:22 PDT

I too am a pack rat with a twist. I hoard stuff up then one a year or
so I get the urge and do a massive cleaning. I do get where I throw away
something and then a few days, weeks, months later I regret throwing
something away, but I get over it. It all works out in the end. I have
planned most of my projects that I will be doing for the year. I think
ordering my supplies insured that, so.. I kinda know what I need and
what is extra.

I did throw a lot away last year when I first got to my school. The
other teacher was a bit cluttered and there were things in like 5
different places. My organization skills probably leave some things to
be desired but I have found that the large plastic tubs help me out. Ex
I have 1 rubber tub full of yarn, one for coffee cans, etc. Everything
is in tubs under the counters of my room. I do keep scrap paper (pieces
of construction paper, colored papers, tissue paper scraps, etc. . In a
large bin. Then if we do a project where we need it. I bring out the
bin. I also have cabinets and I have numbered them and have put some
clip art pics on the front of what they contain. I got tired of kids
asking me where the scissors were. (after telling them 50 times) So now
I say Cabinet #3. and if they happen to look over towards the cabinets
before asking they see a pic of the scissors.

I think the best thing I did was to group like items, and arrange how I
wanted so I knew where everything was.

Throwing away:
I just broke down this year and threw away a giant stack of cardboard.
Actually it was like a small mountain. I didn't use it much last year
and it made my room look junky. I look at it this way. If I need
cardboard I live near the recycling center and I can always get more. My
room looks so good after being cleaned over the summer and I want to
keep it nice.

Hope this helped some,
Good luck,

LeAnn