Re: Maybe you guys can help me put this into perspective...

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 09:14:38 PDT

LOL! Since when is our main priority to "bond"? While I admit it is
important for the kids to have an adult they feel close to, allowing student
free reign is not educational. My HS admin started out similiar - in his own
attempt to "bond" with the students he refused to do any disciplining. The
kids thought he was a joke, there were students roaming the halls,
disrupting other classes, and the teachers were all frustrated. We all go
together and decided as a staff that if you didn't have anything for a
student to work on during your "aide" period then that student would go to a
specified teacher and help them. Students roaming the hall without a signed
planner were free game to put to work. If a teacher allows student aides to
roam freely then that privelege is taken away from the teacher. It was a
staff decision and last year was SO much better. Only students who really
want to aide sign up, they know they will be working, and the wanderers are
in class getting educated. :-)
~Michal

> Oh, and for those of you who are wondering why our principal has never
> limited the number of aides a teacher can have, she won't. She sees it as
a great
> opportunity for student and teacher "bonding."
>
> Irene

---