Speaking of parent email....(use for Mona Bucks)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 07:58:09 PDT

Thanks Sara for bringing up email - my target goal was to increase
parent/teacher communication...and y'all know how much I like email...

Here is one more way I used Mona Bucks:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mona.htm

Students would earn "$1,000,000" (one Mona Buck) if they had their parent
email ME. This is the way I collected email addresses. I added them in my
address book at school right away - the easy way. Some kids knew the email
address and could write it on their information card - but most didn't know
it (I did go through the student cards and send a brief note to all). I had
so much fun emailing the parents back - and even sent the fancy email home
to re-read (and emailed them again). Our school server only got email in
plain text.

I was one who only phoned parents on MY own time - not my students' time. I
was usually too busy to phone during my planning period (I often had kids in
my room working then). My phone calls were made after school most of the
time. My students had the responsibility to tell their parent their side of
the story before I called. New teachers - have some kind of phone log right
by your phone at school and at home so you can document your calls. I made a
lot of calls during the week end (and in the evening) from home.

> If you can not reach the parents by phone email them at work.
> Have a standard message set up as please contact me, problem in class.

Yes Sara, I didn't tell them the problem in the email (I rarely needed to
use email to conact about a problem). I did use email to tell the parent I
needed to work with their students after school whenever it was convenient
with the parent. I have a fun story to tell about this....about a student
who was only in my class for half a period (had tutoring the other half).
Someone remind me if you want this story - it "stars" the lizard from the
science department (FYI Patty if you are reading - if no one else wants to
"hear it" I'll tell you later).

Sensational Sunday

Judy Decker

---