Re: Maybe you guys can help me put this into perspective...

---------

From: v bean (vickibeanart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 06:59:57 PDT

I completly understand your frustration. I went
through a similar situation at my last school
(teaching K-12 art).

You probably already do this but I was able to build
up my numbers by constantly displaying student art and
adding little explainations on the boards. The added
details not only got the passing students to
understand what we were doing, but also the other
teachers. It was amazing how many teachers would
comment on how the lessons tied in with something they
were doing. All in all, it created some excitement and
interest in the hall where otherwise they would have
just passed me up. I also made sure we had an art show
at the major parent-attended events. Parents love to
see their children's names and works publicized, so I
made sure the school newsletter and local paper got
pictures and press releases (sometimes REALLY short)
on everything we did (shows, trips, competitions,
community work, etc.)

Now I'm part-time art/ English in a new school. The
full-time art teacher is very popular and has great
numbers, so they decided they needed some additional
classes for the overflow... me. My first year, no one
wanted the new teacher. My numbers were pretty low to
begin with. By the middle of the year, things were
much better. I'm hoping that it was because the
students liked what they saw on display and decided it
 would be fun to be in the class.

Hope this helps! Hang in there. Art teachers are the
best!!!!

Vicki