Re: help! large talkative class

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 16:37:31 PDT

I usually let the kids sit where they want, with the understanding that they can, and will, earn assigned seats if their behavior isn't conducive to their learning. The 10 pt.daily points is something that I do. I like to give them the first week as a "freebie" - that is, I give them a print-out of their grade sheet, and most of them will be failing because of not enough assignements to raise those 0's they got for daily work. I tell them that "IF" their behavior improves the following week that I will delete the first week's grades. As for "when will you learn", we've all been there, so just hang in there - it'll happen! :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  Trying to nip this talkative class in the bud before it goes too far
  all 25 (8th graders) practically are good friends, am making seating arrangment to
  seat away from their closest friends, but class is so small they are still close
  together. (another 2 classes are similare but not quite as bad)
  What is the consensis on seating , Do most of you have seating chart or let
  kids sit where they want?
  I am adding a 10 pt to my rubric for diligent and consistent working on project.
  so they will automatically loose 10 pts if they were talking too much, or turned
  around , getting up during projects.
  Any tried and true ideas, I just don't believe it is possible for them to sit by
  friends and still have an orderly class?????

---