Need help for the "impossible" class (talkative 8th graderrs, etc)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 14:28:56 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This IS a topic that I DO need to get on IAD sometime....This was on my "to
do" list this summer and I never got it posted.

It has come up again on Getty (I knew it would). A new middle school teacher
wants help for 8th graders. He/she didn't "sign" the post so I am posting
this one from Linda - showing that even the BEST teachers have those classes
that just...well...you know...

Yea, I would like to see an elementary, middle and HS list of
suggestions for "the impossible class" types...the group you always suck
in your gut for before you open the door because you just never know
what outrageous thing one of them will do next...and blink their eyes at
you like they were raised by wolves and have no clue why you would
object to what they just did!!! ..... There are an unusual number of
whirling
dervishes who not only haven't stopped whirling over the year, I know
they cannot. They are neat kids, but it's just not going to happen for a
few of them without it. PHYSICALLY impossible. Then there are others
whose attention simply wanders...they end up off in space in their own
heads, during discussion, looking out the window, picking up something
off the floor that totally engrosses them, etc. There are such an
unusual number of them all in one grade that you can't just have "the
one" stand by you during discussion. These kids are all very bright,
by the way. But they frazzle me to the point that I can't remember what
I was saying sometimes! (Linda share the "pot class" - teachers gave the
next grade level potted plants as a warning they were coming -- smile).

Thanks to those who have replied to the "talkative" 8th grade dilemma. I'll