Re: help! large talkative class

---------

From: Grace Hall (Grace_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 12:21:22 PDT

I tell my students that I will treat them like adults if they will at least TRY to act like them. I allow them to seat themselves on the first day. But I tell them on the first day that if I see that sitting next to someone in particular is keeping them from doing their work, I will move them. And I do that. What also works like a charm is calling Moma to tell her how much they are accomplishing in my class. One time I had to call almost every student's parent in my whole 4th period!!! I didn't have a problem with them again for months, and that was my fault for loosening up with them. You gotta keep your thumb on classes like that. Be consistant!!!!!!! Kids want to argue every point, but if you're consistant, there's not as much to argue about. I also tell my kids on the first day that they ALL have clean slates, and that they are the only ones who can mess that up.

Another thing you can do is read "The First Day of School" by Harry Wong. His concepts of positive reinforcement, routines and procedures, have helped me tremendously! If the kids enter your room knowing the routine, and follow it, it saves tons of problems from coming up. I'll admit that it doesn't work for every single child, but it works with enough of them to save you some grief, so that you can teach art! Good luck with that class! You'll get the hang of it!
Grace