Re: help! large talkative class(advice)

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 12:14:12 PDT

I really hate being like this but I got this advice from someone
years ago and it has helped me, though it is not for eveyone. I
never did student teaching because I was hired emergency
certification. I had the best first principal, and he is still
my best. He was part of the state evaluation team. His advice
to me after 3 years, "Don't allow them to like you the first
three weeks" Don't be rude with it but keep the distance and
have unreachable expectations when it comes to classroom
management.

What did he mean by unreachable? Lets look at two things, gum
and dress code (lol...) Now, I dont know about ya'll but I dont
always have time to deal with these items. But it is in the
student handbook. So , I come down hard the first 3 weeks with
items such as this, don't back off on grading hard (you can
always drop the grade-OH DONT TELL STUDENT THIS), and maintain
activities that keep them busy busy busy busy, everyday have
something to turn in for grade (or what they think you are
logging into book.

Oh yes, you get many who want out, don't worry, you are doing
nothing wrong, you just have high expectations. After a while,
in one class, you may have weeded out those that would cause
problems all the time. I am still in touch with parents early,
I have done it the first day sometimes. Then, by the second six
weeks, I begin to breath myself for I don't have to stay two
steps ahead of the students, (only 1.5). For those of us who
have been doing this for a while, you know what I mean. I
really think the main thing, keep them busy with quick due dates
(end of class, 2-3 days, etc.) I hate worksheets, I hate to
grade them. Besides, I really hate the idea that I am sending
that child out into jobs relating to our curriculum with the
knowledge of filing in the blank, picking true or false, or
being about to match terms. I like to see what they can think
about, either individually or as part of a team.

I went on too long. Parent contact is the key, doing what you
say you will NOW is the key, having patience, and last but not
least, do for yourself............

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas