Re: help! large talkative class

---------

Occasm_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 11:57:56 PDT

In a message dated 8/16/2003 1:12:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
austart@bryanisd.org writes:

> I have also told parents that if it continues, I have no problem
> doing the worksheet lessons and do away with any hands on. When
> I tell this to the parents of good kids, that is when they step
> in themselves.

Jackie,
this email was very helpful to me. I had an 8th grade class last year that
talked so much that I use to hang an in-class art essay (based on what we were
doing in class) over their heads. It finally got so bad that I pulled the
trigger and gave it. They freaked out and many claimed they wouldn't do any art
reading in class. This led to me giving it out as homework over the weekend. It
was a real mess. The innocent kids' parents, and there weren't many, wrote me
notes and I did excuse them, but I know I handled it badly. I like the idea
of calling home and I do a lot of it, but for some reason I just think that
talking in class was worthy of it.

mike sacco
p.j gelinas jhs
setauket, NY