Re: help! large talkative class

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 10:09:30 PDT

I do a seating chart, and stick to it in some rooms. I have to
say, even if it means a weekend, CALL THE PARENTS, and let them
know that one of the levels of each rubric is your idea of total
concentration at 10 points. And do it now. When parents and
students see that you mean what you say, it will help some. I
have had those rooms. Especially during the studio evaluation
time, the last thing I need is distraction on getting something
done and using my thinking skills.

Do a weekly move with the students. Make the rubric (generic)
and mail out to parents. I have also told parents of students
who do not talk, that what is taking place in the classroom is
hindering their childs education and I need help in some way.
Sometimes they call the principal and let them know that because
of the make up of the room, their child does not get the
teachers feedback as needed and desired.

I have also told parents that if it continues, I have no problem
doing the worksheet lessons and do away with any hands on. When
I tell this to the parents of good kids, that is when they step
in themselves.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas