Re: Latest worm warning

---------

From: Seapearls Artworks (seapearls__at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 21:55:08 PDT

I just received this bulletin too. A wee bit late I am afraid but the worm has been removed now though and I have put extra precautions in place and my computer is healthy once again.

Shar ARndT
teacher and artist

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
Michelangelo
>From: Maggie White
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk"
>Subject: Latest worm warning
>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:49:07 -0700
>
>I know this is a little too late for Shar, but here's info for the
>rest of you about this worm, from a reputable online newsletter.
>
>Maggie
>The Blaster Worm is Taking No Survivors! _______________
>
>A new worm was discovered 8-11-03 that exploits an RPC hole through
>TCP port 135 it then downloads & runs a file called Msblast.exe that
>results in your computer shutting down. This worm is causing a huge
>amount of disturbance and can be found in Windows NT, 2000, XP and
>2003 Server. One of the payloads of this worm is to cause the DCOM
>(Distributed Component Object Model) RPC (Remote Procedure Call)
>interface to appear and tell the user that the system will be
>shutdown in 60 seconds. Even if you are protected from the
>vulnerability, you may see this box pop up...it does not mean that
>the system is infected, only that an attempt to overrun the RPC has
>been made. To make things worse a variant of the worm has already
>been found as of Wednesday morning. For more details and what to
>do, surf over to:
>
>http://datadr.com/redir.cfm/Blaster_Worm/
>

>We have also posted a warning with a link to the security bulletins
>at:
>
>http://www.datadoctors.com/hot/general.cfm?PageID=35
>

>---
>leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* ---