Re: need ideas for special students

---------

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 22:30:13 PDT

This situation reminds of when I did a lot of substitution for an Art
Teacher (I will call her Ms. X) who was gone a lot. The school k-6 where Ms.
X taught had a high percentage of disability students. Many art classes were
not happy campers. The non disability students were teamed with the
disability students.
It is one thing to help someone some of the time but when you have to help
or more. There was resentment. The non disability students wanted to be able
to work on their own art projects.
One class had a high percentage of MS students who had very bright minds but
could not manipulate materials very well. Many non MS students belittled
the MS students. The MS students felt degraded. The two aides in the room
did much of the project for many of the MS student.
The bottom line was all the students wanted to do well in Art Class but
inclusion was not handled well in the Art Room. So be careful how you handle
teaming.

They want to do Art. They want to feel successful.
I would do this:
Find out what the students can do and has done in the past.
Ask to have their IEP explained to you.
Ask if they are main streamed in other classes.
Find out what, how, and where they have the done well in the past?
Find out if they will have an aide all the time in art class.
Find out what level they use the computer.
Find out what other things they can manipulate by puffing, eye movement,
voice command, or their own fingering, or hand, or muscle, or some body
movement.

They want to do Art. They want to feel successful.

 Decide what you want them to know, understand, apply, and produce by the
end of the term/semester.

You need to find out more about the students.

Create realistic objectives for these (MS) students.
If they are high functioning.......

The student will:

learn about the camera

learn the parts of the camera

take tests orally or by computer

learn how to take pictures with a ?camera or digital camera by having a
vertical post that is attached to wheel chair arm that has an horizontal
swing arm that holds the camera jerry rigged with velcro and/or clamps The
camera will swing in front of the student's face so he/she can look through
the view finder.
The student will take pictures by puffing or by pushing a lever/button
attached to a cord.
The student may already have such a post and swing arm for his wheel chair
arm.

learn how to manipulate the pictures taken by using PICTURE IT PROGRAM or
Photoshop or

learn how to print off finished projects on the computer

This is a short answer to long solution.

If you want more information or resources let me know.
The state of Washington's University of Washington has a great high school
disability student mentor program for disability students across the US.

Hope this was clear.

Sara

---