RE: dress code/long and wordy!

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 16:46:57 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Nnaell@aol.com [mailto:Nnaell@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 6:27 AM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: dress code/long and wordy!

My district does not have a teacher dress code, but because I am in 2
different buildings, the different principals expect teachers to dress
in a certain
way. One school very casual is fine (teachers wear shorts and t-shirts)
the
other school, much more formal. I have become very creative with
clothes as I
have little money to spend and have lost a lot of weight the last year
and
completely emptied my closet 3 times in the past year. If you sew, you
can make
very simple skirts for less than $5. Get one, very easy, very basic
pattern
,make several in a few colors and lengths. My winter "uniform" always
includes
a many pairs of black cotton tights. I always wear them instead of hose
(as
soon as the weather allows). #1.....way more sturdy than panty hose!
#2...They are very comfortable and make a skirt as easy to move in as
pants.
#3...Very warm!! As for shoes.....go to Easy Spirit. Their shoes were
the only shoes
I could wear for such a long time as I had horrible feet. Now I can
wear
anything. I just got a fabulous pair of Easy Spirit shoes on sale for
$25 and
they will last for a long time. They are so comfortable and worth the
money,
even if not on sale. In the past I really only had one pair of black
shoes I
wore with EVERYTHING. Sort of a loafer with low heal...good with pants
(khakis,
black a must!) and skirts. Start off with some basics, black pants and
black skirt, with several colors of shirts or dressier t-shirt type
shirts,
cotton turtlenecks are also very good in the winter. Also wear a smock
to make
sure you clothes stay clean. I shop everywhere, second hand stores,
Wal-Mart,
Lord & Taylor (great sale racks)....I don't shop often but I know what I
have so
when I see something that will work I pick it up. Also because I don't
spend
a lot of money on my clothes I don't worry too much if they get messed
up.
An $8 shirt from wal-mart is not going to worry me as much as an $80
shirt from
Saks!!! I don't like fussy clothes and hate having to worry about
them!

If you don't sew, one thing I did long time ago when I first got out of
college and had even less money than I have now (hardly seems
possible!!!) but I
bought some fabric and knew a woman who did sewing, I paid her $5 a
skirt and
she made me 5 skirts! So with the cost of the fabric I spent maybe $35
on 5
skirts. It was still so much less expensive than buying them.

Hope this helps!

---
unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---