2 GREAT ideas - middle school and up (maybe even elementary?)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 16:18:43 PDT

(Pardon if this is dulpication - the pst never came through on my end)

Dear Art Educators,

I'm looking over my folders trying to find sample interview questions - when
I discovered these GREAT ideas from the L.A. NAEA conference.
These are good for middle school and high school.....even revise for
elementary. First one TECHNOLOGY folks.

Digital -scanned image- acetate (posted by KHeifetz@aol.com)

Another lady with not great computer set up gave her kids the assignment
of creating a drawing using 7 kinds of lines (short, dark, dotted
etc.)then she scanned the drawings into her computer and had the kids do a
mirror image of their design and enhance if desired--then she printed it
once on regular paper and once on acetate. She mounted it under a mat
with the regular paper, then about an inch of foamcore (make a spacer), then
the acetate that was offset by 30 degrees so that it created a moiré
pattern. They were gorgeous!! Another of her ideas: She had them do various
kinds of prints and embossed designs below--shoot them sideways with a spray
can of paint to give a small 3/D effect and mount them as before under an
acetate print of themselves.

Back to Judy: Does anyone have this lady's handout? or know her name? She
sounds like my kind of lady.

(from Susan on Long Island)I was one of the unfortunate ones who did not get
a handout. I went to the copy room to buy one and it was closed, so here's
the info from my notes: This lesson was done with middle school children
but can easily be adapted for all ages. The printing was referred to as
Illusionary Printing because artwork was printed on acetate. Two or three
layers of the print were moved 30 degrees each in "shadowbox-type" framing
with foamcore in between to separate the layers and
build them up. The presenters mentioned using Photoshop/Painter, cutting up
moiré patterns, scanning in computer. (This sounds interesting, too)Also,
print with tempera paint and Ross art paste on the dull side of aluminum
foil (mix Ross art paste with temper- brush on and let dry? Anyone have more
details?), freezer paper, fine sandpaper and put through Dot Matrix (anyone
experiment with ink jet?). Another idea for printing is a 6"x6" hand
drawing with fine line marker. Scan drawing into computer using Photoshop.
Manipulate lines on the computer, print on acetate (acetate for jet printer
available at Staples). Print background layer on paper. I think an e-mail
was given out for this workshop, anyone have it? (Does anyone have it
still?) Susan on Long Island

(back to Judy)Folks who do not have technology can do this with "old
technology" - use your photocopier - print drawing on colored paper - or
even colored card stock - print on transparency - do the off set mounting.
Try Mary Jane's portrait idea (transparency)3-D:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/maryjane.htm

Personal shrine:
Another idea (I hope I didn't already say this to the list) was to do a
self portrait of yourself which included an animal that was important to
you (Frida Kahlo was inspiration). Make the drawing then transfer with
carbon paper onto 1/4" plywood with a double door cut out of the center.
Doors were hinged by gluing a strip of fabric down each side. Images were
painted with acrylic, then a mirror was glued to the back so that when
you looked at your self-portrait you could open the doors and see your
image.(Was this from Susan on Long Island, too?)

(My own personal artwork is all about "shrines". My own personal shrine is a
clay project:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/Shrine1.jpg
Small doors open to reveal small figures (Eve on left - strong religious
upbringing) and little Judy on right - body image). Center opens to a
mirror. I ran into a former student a few weeks ago. His most memorable high
school project was his ceramic personal shrine box.- had doors with mirror
and sculptural objects inside.
A couple more pictures of my shrine on this page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/my-art.htm
This was my first project with Matthew as the lizard (African/Bamana culture
for longevity - it also represents a real piece of art work I bought - a
metal lizard).

The personal shrine idea could also be done as a triptych. I just took some
pictures of my "Hero" triptych so will give more details on that later
(battery needs recharging so I can take more detail shots).

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. I heard from Anna! She is KHeifetz@aol.com and is sending me handouts -
plus her non-technology way (a presentation she did. I recall folks
"talking" about it on Getty list and were very impressed with the idea).

---