dress codes

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 21:16:44 PDT

Woody said I agreed to my principals request last year... so I would appear
more professional.
Sharon said but the
> students have a dress code and teachers are supposed to follow it pretty
> much too.

You are all having some fun with this topic, but it is in fact an issue.
Teacher dress came up in my Issues in Ed grad class this summer.
I don't care what anyone says but how one looks is very much a part of
being perceived as being a professional. I know we are a lot more relaxed
about what that look is, but I have to say sometimes I'm appalled by what I
see. I have seen prospective teachers sitting in the office waiting for an
interview- wearing jeans! My school has "dress down day" on paydays and
we pay a dollar to dress down (which goes into a scholarship fund). I am
glad that we don't wear jeans on any other day.
We fight to be considered professionals. We want the respect and the salary
associated with being professionals. I may be wrong, but I think the role
model figure we have to be is sometimes diminished if we don't look like a
professional. I really like that most of the men in my building still were a
tie. I wear pants most of the time for the practical reasons you have said,
but when I wear a skirt or dress, I never fail to get comments from the
kids.... they like it when we "dress."
I think we underestimate how we look. I may be old fashioned, but I think
part of my validity is tied to how I look. I don't want to look like the
kids. And yes, Woody, I think there are battles... and there are battles.

As far as shoes go
It's my experience that this is the one thing I'll pay big bucks for. Cheap
shoes are cheap shoes and last as many minutes as the price tag. Search for
the good shoes that fit your feet and pay the price.
here is a good on-line source for many of the shoe brands that have been
mentioned
http://www.zappos.com/welcome3.zhtml?0813

hope I don't sound preachy
Patty
who loves to go to Neiman Marcus and try on the $500. pointy toed , spiky
heeled Italian shoes walk around a bit and look at the eager
salesman and say with a grimace OOOOh Don't feel good
but they really do feel good if only I had $500. for shoes!

---