RE: Aspiring Art Teacher needs advice - MFA or MA Ed

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 06:52:47 PDT

When I went after a master's degree 12 years ago, I was told that the MFA
was the terminal degree in art for teaching at college level. I was also
told that, at that time, there were 350 applicants for every university art
teaching job. In NC, one does not get extra pay for an MFA when teaching
public school, unless the additional hours in education are tacked on. This
necessitates a degree requiring 60 credits, and most MFA programs require at
least one year of full time. Although the MFA is what I really wanted, I
went after the MEd in art education because I could do it nights and summers
while teaching, and because it gave me the additional pay boost. It really
was a pretty good program-well mixed with art and relevant education
courses. Many of my classes included MFA candidates which made for
interesting interchange. I think Gary needs to decide, after looking at each
program, what will work best for his goals and what is available to him.
There are pros and cons to each. Linda in NC