Re: help with teacher dress code

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 20:45:41 PDT

BSoviero@aol.com wrote:

> As a new teacher, one of those unwritten rules involves dress code. My
> district doesn't have a dress code, but I can't look too sloppy. I have not yet
> found a pair or brand of shoes that 1.doesn't kill my back 2. provides support
> and 3. is somewhat nice looking to wear. I really don't want to wear sneakers.

I guess it had to happen someday...I now teach in a district with a
teacher dress policy. This means no blue jeans (other colored denim
okay), no Ts (not even my art-themed ones), collared shirts only, and,
worst of all, NO SANDALS (this is AZ desert, and I own at least seven
pairs of Birks). I'm picky about comfort and hard to fit (wear a 9AA),
but lucked onto a shoe brand over the weekend that not only fit and were
comfy, but looked pretty cool: Softspots. They have an extra something
in the heel. I always put Dr. Scholl's insoles in my shoes, and they
got me through the first day of school yesterday.

BTW, Footprints carries what they call "dressy" Birks. There is one
style I'm waiting to go on closeout.

Maggie

---