Aspiring Art Teacher needs advice - MFA or MA Ed

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 20:26:19 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

This was a thread on the list several months ago...Some of you may have been
in a similar situation when you decided on your advanced degree.
If anyone has any suggestions for Gary please reply to him
garypenton@yahoo.com (not the list) - He posted to Art Education and I sent
him a reply.

Dear Teachers,

     I have just retired from flying for the U.S. Navy and I will
be applying to University of Texas' Master's program under the
VA's "Vocational Rehabilition" program. This is a program
that will pay all expenses for such training so long as the
community needs this occupation and there is some certainty
of work once I graduate.
     The Vocational Rehab representative requested that I
contact several artists that have chosen to teach since that
is my plan. I need to ask what the availability of work is after
earning the MFA, and how you feel personally about your
choice. If you have time, or if you know of another who can
help me, please tell me what it's like to be an Art teacher at
both the College and Secondary school levels.
     I also hope that you can advise whether the MFA or MA Ed
is a better idea if I want to teach at secondary school level, and
if MA Ed is qualified to teach at university level. What are the
odds of getting work at either.
Kind regards, Gary Penton garypenton@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help Gary.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com

---