RE: looking for help

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 19:55:04 PDT

Hi, Mary Ellen! So, you have made the wonderful jump to "art teacher". It is
great fun. I wear a lab coat that was given to me by a high school science
teacher. As for the kids, they wear old smocks from the local grocery store. A
good way to begin teaching art is to use the elements and principles (as
you've said) and also to look at artists and get inspiration. Here are a few
ideas I use with my K-2 students, just to get you started!

* Primary lines- they paint different types of line with black tempera and
then fill in between the lines with the primaries
* Crayon Walk- they use a crayon and take it for a walk around their paper,
pressing hard, and making different types of line. Then, we talk about pattern
and use different colored crayon to add pattern to the areas. Watercolor to
finish. I show them Kandinsky for this one.
* Piet Mondrian- Paper collage. They learn horizontal, vertical, and diagonal
and primary & neutral colors.
* Warm and cool colors- we play a matching game- match up the color- either
cool like water or warm like fire before doing a project. Sometimes we fold a
paper into small boxes, unfold, and paint the top half with warms and bottom
half with cools. Teaches shades & tints. I show them Paul Klee's "Sinbad the
Sailor" and they draw an ocean scene on top with black marker. The cool colors
are the water & the warm is the sky.

Well, I could go on forever! These are just some of the color projects I
rotate. I would be glas to share more, if you'd like. Just e-mail me.
Good books- "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists" series. About 6.95
each. ALso, "Emphasis Art" by Frank Wachowiak- an oldie, but goodie.

Good luck!

Denise

>===== Original Message From mary ellen mckenna <memstar1@juno.com> =====
>Dear Fellow Art Teachers
>I am going to be the art teacher for grades K-2 even though I've done
>lots of art projects as a classroom teacher. I must admit that I'm not
>sure how to teach art. I want to teach the elements of art and not just
>do craft things. I need some suggestions on things to do with the elements
so that they do create something each lesson. Also I was wondering if you
>could suggest good art organizations to join and in particular in the NYC
>and websites for cheap art stuff(like posters) and any other resources
>that would help. Oh yeah what about smocks where can you get them. I
>want one for me.

---