Re: elementary sart first days

---------

From: Elizabeth Davis (davise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 04:00:18 PDT

This is my first year, but I got an idea from a fellow art teacher that
seems to be working great. After going over rules, grading etc I tell
them that we are going to practice a typical art class. Since I'm on the
cart I have helpers at each table or set of desks to pass out supplies,
each week it will different people. Then we go over putiing name and
class code( combination of their teachers initial and grade level, ex:
H3 is Ms. Hunters 3rd grade- helps with getting their papers back to
them) on their papers. The project is one that takes group co-operation
and is to help jump start their creativity. We make silly faces by
having each student start theirs off with an outside shape, pass to
person on the right, they draw nose, pass to right, draw eyes, etc.
Before each feature we talk about how we could be creative with it, this
also helps them practice how I am going to get their attention. They
ususally start saying shapes they are familliar with such as square,
circle,t hen I draw an organic shape and ask them what it is called, I
get several answers then explain about what an organic shape is. I ask
for an even sillier idea such as making the face shaped like a cupcake,
suggest they look around the room to get ideas. You can tell once they
have caught on because you will get all kinds of answers. With the next
features I try to get them to realize that they could change the number
of eyes, the placement of nose, the color, the size as well as the
shape. You get some realy creative faces, then we talk about
co-operation and working togehter, how sometimes it is hard but how it
can be benefitical and why we might sometimes prefer to work alone, you
will get at least 1-2 kids in each class that hate the idea for having
someone else mark on their paper, and wont mark on someone elses, but
most have still went along with it anyway~though grumpily. I remind that
part of their grade is on effort and that if they won't work on it they
aren't giving any effort. These are the kids to ask during discussion
about why they didn't like to work in a group. Most love to be silly
with their pictures and want to show you every knew thing they put on
their. Some classes got done in one day, others need another day to work
on it, but will get done before the class time is up, so I thought about
introducing critiqe and using it as a way to review elements. Anybody
else have some good ideas?

>>> thepaintbrushjar@hotmail.com 08/10/03 09:44 AM >>>
Would any one care to share how they start off the year (elem age). I
feel I do the same things each year...would like to try something new.
My first day normally is going over rules and material uses. I read a
book about art to the primary kids. I do a self portrait or name
design.

---
davise@kannapolis.k12.nc.us
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu