RE: help with teacher dress code

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 12:57:15 PDT

I'm sure you're not dorky, Jeannie! Yes, I paint my fingernails (as much to
protect them from constant wetness as for decoration), but I usually use a
neutral polish just so chips don't show as fast. We are not allowed to wear
jeans, sweats, or shorts. I find this annoying because there are a few times
when I feel I'm a better teacher if I am wearing jeans so I can get on the
floor, get messy, etc. I also think that some shorts can be quite dressy, or
that a clean pair of jeans and a starched blouse look more professional than
wrinkled khakis and a worn-out tee shirt, whick is what some wear. In the
warm weather, I often wear comfortable knit dresses that are long enough to
allow me to move. In winter, I usually wear dockers or other washable pants
and a tailored blouse and/or sweater, sometimes a blazer or casual jacket. I
am, however, cold natures (except when having power surges!!) I usually
alternate dressier shoes with decent sneakers to give my legs a rest-rubber
soles almost always. Good luck with your makeover. Maybe we should all call
Oprah and ask her to do art teacher makeovers! Linda in NC