Re: artsednet digest: August 09, 2003

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 05:50:08 PDT

on 8/10/03 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: Aesthetics
> From: "J+G Grant" <jggrant@melbpc.org.au>
> Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:34:27 +1000
>
> Just a quick survey question - what do you understand as being =
> aesthetics and how important do you think it is in the classroom? I am =
> running a seminar later this week and my research has shown a fair few =
> different understandings.
Aesthetics, as I understand it, is the appreciation of what we consider to
be visually pleasing or beautiful. While the specific nature of those
characteristics have a variety of interpretations from culture to culture
(see my article, "The Many Faces of Beauty on the Web" -
http://www.art-themagazine.com/insite.htm), there are overarching concepts
that help to formulate a dialog that allows us to explore how those
characteristics come into play. As an extension of that, the importance of
the teaching and utilization of those concepts in the classroom is huge as
they help to foster not only a more educated 'eye' and therefore greater
creative skills with which to communicate, but also give students a deeper
understanding and awareness of the diversity of cultures and human
experience that would otherwise not be possible.

Kevan

---