Re: Aesthetics

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 11:50:03 PDT

I personally think Textbooks really skim the surface
on the use of aesthetics in the classroom with
appraoches that boil down work into categories like
expressivism, imitationalism, formalism, and
functionalism. I admit I do have a one shot lesson
that boils work down into these categories (and then I
proceed to break them every chance I get)

Aesthetics are part of every class for me - talking
about the value of artists work and our own work.

I also use Puzzles about Art: An aesthetics Casebook ,
Battin, Fisher, More and Silvers. I love this
approach. My first instructor had us finding
"puzzles" weekly, so I actually had the mindset before
getting the book. I make it a point to use a puzzle
once a week in conjunction with the unit I'm working
on.

Good luck with the presentation! Dawn