Knott Just Another Quote

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 10:21:40 PDT

Ooops! I forgot to get you "going" today... Since I am working on a portrait
sculpture commission right now, I thought I'd do quotes dedicated to that
topic.
If I forget again - someone else jump right in (smile, Carol Campbells.).

http://www.painterskeys.com/quotationsps.htm#portraiture
A good form strikes all eyes pleasantly, long before they have any science
on the subject; and a beautiful face sets twenty hearts in palpitation,
prior to all consideration of the mechanical proportions of the features and
head. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
I would wish my portraits to be of the people, not like them. Not having a
look of the sitter, being them. (Lucian Freud)
The likeness has a great deal more to do with proportions of length than it
does with drawing a perfect nose, a perfect eye, or a perfect mouth. (Daniel
D. Greene)
I often concentrate on the eyes and lips, they are great indicators of mood
and feeling, and I find that I can project character into my portraits by
bringing the viewer's attention to these areas. (Robert Ryan)
http://www.painterskeys.com/quotationsps.htm#sculpture
The essence of a sculpture must enter on tip-toe, as light as animal
footprints on snow. (Hans Arp) gr
It is a great privilege to be able to work with, and I suppose work off, my
feelings through sculpture. (Louise Bourgeois)
As picture teaches the colouring, so sculpture the anatomy of form. (Ralph
Waldo Emerson)
Lots more good ones....

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com