RE: desinging a new middle school art room

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 10:40:05 PDT

Definitely! My school was built last year and I now have three sinks. BUT,
they made them so high that my kindergarteners have to use stools to reach.

A few things I've experienced:
* Do not have cabinets with shelves that pull out unless they have backs on
them. Stuff will fall right off. I now use them for my paper and never pull
them out.

* Stools are GREAT as seats, but the kids kept falling off of them the first
month until they adjusted to them.

* Yellow laminate topped tables are HORRIBLY HARD to keep clean!!

* Make sure they give you enough bulletin boards. I had two and one was in an
area where no one would see it.

* Make sure you have enough display area outside your room. I have two rows of
tack strips now & a showcase in the main foyer.

* Painted pebbled brick is a nightmare to clean, especially behind the sinks.
Ask for a backsplash.

* Our building was state funded, so there were basic requirements, such as a
kiln room and separate store room, both of which I can lock up. YEAH!! Make
sure you at least have an area which locks so you can monitor supplies.

* Make sure you have outlets in areas where needed. I have a long counter with
no outlets, so it is impossible to use the lightbox, blender, irons, etc.
without running cords. Applies to computer hook-ups as well.

I love my new room, really! It is so much better than the basement dungeon I
had before and my princpal is so great, she has made changes where needed.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Jancy & Mike Cossin <jmcossin@yahoo.com> =====
>Sinks! One sink is not enough, three would be ideal. They built a new middle
school a few years ago here and they have 3 sinks, tons of cabinets floor to
near ceiling and display work above and on them.
>jancy

---