Re: desinging a new middle school art room

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 08:38:15 PDT

Sinks! One sink is not enough, three would be ideal. They built a new middle school a few years ago here and they have 3 sinks, tons of cabinets floor to near ceiling and display work above and on them.
jancy

BERHODES@comcast.net wrote:
Those of you who have taught middle school art, I need your input on
improving the design of an art room. Think of two or three things you would
be sure to have the architect to include in the design of an art space for
middle school art. Send those suggestions to me at berhodes@comcast.net.

I have been asked to look at some blue prints tomorrow for a new school and
make some suggestions about the design of the art room. Since I do not know
what they have already designed I have at this time no idea of size,
location, etc. A few things I will be looking for are outside windows, good
ventilation, press board being banded from the construction of cabinets (All
of my cabinets are made of pressed board and will not hold a nail or
screw.), enough display area in the class and in the hall, adequate and
appropriate storage, art lockers for safely storing individual student
supplies, etc. Please add to my "etc." I do not want the teacher who
teaches in this room say bad words about the 'idiot' who designed the art
room!

Thanks
Barbara Rhodes