Art Careers and Teachers Guide and Video and Teacher Resource Book

---------

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 14:44:02 PDT

Friends

http://www.mcachicago.org/

I called MCA and asked

1. about Art Careers and Teachers Guide and Video
It is free. (I order one set I will give a review of it after I recieve it)
Call Carol Hurvitz at 312-397-3898.

Behind the Scenes in the Art World

 Architect
Eileen Guevara

Art and Production Director
Arturo Jimenez

Stage Manager
Bill Hogan

Costume Designer
Birgit Wise

Visual Artist
Othello Anderson

Resources

Video and Teacher's Guide

 Museum of Contemporary Art's investigation of careers in the arts. The
Behind the Scenes in the Art World video and companion guide are products of
a yearlong collaboration between the MCA and Hyde Park Career Academy on
Chicago's South Side. As career education continues to establish a strong
presence in the core curriculum around the nation, the MCA has made a
priority of providing practical information about careers in the arts. It is
my hope that Behind the Scenes in the Art World and its predecessor, Behind
the Scenes at an Art Museum, will help teachers and students appreciate the
array of job opportunities in the arts. At the same time, I would like to
emphasize the importance of education and job skills for these careers, and
employment in any area for that matter. The video and guide highlight each
arts professional's educational background, internships or other training,
and his or her career path, in addition to the importance of cooperation and
other job-related skills. Please enjoy the video and use the companion guide
to explore each career further with the suggested follow-up classroom
activities.

2. about the Teacher Resource Book.
It costs $40.00which includes:

23 artists

8X12 images of their work

Each of the twenty-three entries includes the following sections:
About the artist
A short biographical section providing the artist's background and artistic
context.

About the artwork
In-depth information about the artwork, its creation, and the artist's
reasons for creating it.

Questions for looking and discussion
Questions meant to prompt discussion and debate about possible meanings of
the artwork and the ideas that inspired the artist.

Ideas for activities
Arranged by discipline in order to emphasize the multifaceted nature of the
MCA Collection, these are quick, fairly simple ideas for expanding upon
concepts addressed in the entry.

Related sources
Further references in print, video, and film.

Lesson plans
Though each lesson plan is designed with a specific age range in mind, plans
are adaptable for all grades. Goals and standards are identified for all
levels. Possible thematic links among entries are listed at the end of each
lesson.

Teacher Resource Book

Introduction

 The MCA Collection Online Teacher Resource Book is designed for teachers to
use in their classroom either as previsit preparation for a field trip to
the Museum of Contemporary Art or as an independent curriculum reference on
contemporary art and culture. This multi-layered tool will assist teachers
in:

developing students' appreciation for and understanding of contemporary art.
increasing students' ability to meet mandated standards for learning.
enhancing critical thinking skills through a multidisciplinary approach.
helping students make connections between art, their personal lives and
experiences, and contemporary social and political ideas.
Building skills in articulating and expressing students' ideas and
perspectives verbally, in written form, and in artwork.
The MCA Collection Teacher Resource Book, 3rd edition, is free for teachers
within the city of Chicago. Others may purchase this resource through the
MCA Store. Call 312.397.3838 for more details.

---