RE: arist first or teaher first? hs graphic ideas

---------

From: Marian Staudt (smaria1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 22:19:10 PDT

Well, Ruth, that's an interesting question. I've wondered about that too. I
think you can combine the artist and teacher by doing one thing at the time.
When teaching be a teacher (the artist will always be there in the
background) and be an artist when you have time to yourself. Of course,
inspiration comes at any time no mater what you're doing at the time. The
second point, I do think that if I would teach eg. oil painting that I would
have to look up how and what to do because I am not an oil painter. So, as
far as technique and material knowledge are concerned I feel that I would
have to learn before I could teach. Here in Australia I will be able to
teach any kind of art because the principles of art are the same no matter
what media are used.

Regards
Marian Staudt