RE: Ideas for New Art Teacher

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 19:14:09 PDT

COngratulations! You certainly have come to the right place- there are many
great people here to help. I think most of us will agree that we are always
trying new ideas and that our lessons rarely stay the same from year to year.
There is just so much to explore! As long as you cover what you are required
by your curriculum, be it the elements, principles, or multiculturalism, the
subject matter is up to you. I have had years where we made passports and
explored all different cultures, their art, and artists. Other years I focused
more on artists or themes (I especially love BUGS!). These days, I feel that I
have found a good blending of all. As for the younger grades, kindergarten in
particular, the focus should be on process rather than product. I even send a
letter home at the beginning of the year to explain that even if their little
Picasso's artwork may not look "perfect", but they are learning TONS. They
need to experiment with as many mediums as possible and practice, practice,
practice using scissors and glue. (Gotta love all thise little "glue
monsters"!) During my first few years, I was continually discovering that the
lessons I thought would be great turned out to be disasters, but if the kids
had fun and learned something, then there was some measure of success. Also, I
attach a "story" or explaination of each project to the back before they are
sent home. This way, the parents (sometimes) get the "A-HA" moment when they
look at the work and then read the description. Buy books, look on the
internet, hook up with other art teachers, and you will eventually find your
own style.
Oh, yeah- most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH